Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thomas Keller's Chicken Pot Pie



Chicken Pot Pie. Wait. Just let the words linger and see what images it conjures up in your mind.

OK. When you think of chicken pot pie it should bring to elicit thoughts of comfort food at its best. Chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce all surrounded by flaky pastry. Note, this should be *all* surrounded, top and bottom crusts please.

I've made chicken pot pie numerous times in the past. It's always been creamy, comforting goodness. I received the Ad Hoc cookbook as a present so I thought I'd begin my Thomas Keller initiation with the chicken pot pie recipe. I don't know what I expected from it. Yes, there were many, many, many steps involved in the preparation. I've always made pie crust from scratch so that part was nothing new. The preparation of the vegetables, however, was much more labor intensive. I had to buy fresh thyme (something I normally never do).

Was it all worth it in the end? You bet! Once you bite into the finished product you realize how pronounced and distinct each carrot, celery, potato piece is. It is a very refined chicken pot pie. If you scarf the entire thing down you may not realize how delicate the flavor is. I recommend you make this pie and really take the time to savor each bite. It's definitely worth it. The bechamel sauce is probably the most difficult part but it is most definitely worth the extra time and care you need to take with it.

Mr. Keller: I eagerly look forward to making more of your delicious recipes.

No comments: