Friday, April 29, 2011

Broccoli Beef



Yes, broccoli beef has got to be one of the most frequently ordered dishes at the Americanized Chinese restaurants. It is probably the next most popular dish right after General Tso's chicken.

For some inexplicable reason I had a huge craving for broccoli beef. I don't even really like broccoli beef that much but I just had a craving for it. The craving probably started when I saw someone order it when we were waiting for takeout from a Chinese restaurant (a real Chinese restaurant mind you, not a Mr. Chau's.) I made my broccoli beef with grassfed beef and it definitely satisfied my craving.

I found out how to make the beef texture taste just like the restaurants: baking soda. I've always known that baking soda is used extensively but I never realized the texture it imparts to beef. It makes the beef very tender. I'd do it again especially once I realized how easy it is to do. Add a few spoonfuls of baking soda to your cut up beef and let it marinate for about 10-20 minutes. After it is done tenderizing the beef wash it off and marinate the meat as normal.

Here's what our dinner table looked like:


I bought calla lilies to give it a more decorative touch. ^_^

No comments: