Monday, April 18, 2011

Ginger Milk 姜汁撞奶



Ginger milk is similar to a very delicate panna cotta. Ginger milk is great if you enjoy a smooth, silky, just set custard. It only contains milk, ginger, and sugar and is really easy to make. I first had it at a Chinese cafe and ever since I had it, I've been on a quest to make it. I've come across many recipes and often I've failed since they custard wouldn't set. I, however, finally stumbled upon a great recipe and had success.

The recipe is really simple.

Ingredients
1.25 bowl of whole milk (the milk will evaporate during cooking)
1 heaping tablespoon sugar
~1T ginger juice

1. Boil the milk. Stir constantly so the milk doesn't stick to the pan. Heat the milk to approximately 190 degrees F.
2. Once the milk boils, add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
3. Pour the milk between two rice bowls to cool the milk down. Try to keep as much distance between the bowls as possible so the milk cools. Repeat this about 3-4 times.
4. Pour the milk in one steady stream into the bowl which contains ginger juice.
5. Wait 5-10 minutes for the milk to coagulate.

Once you try this you'll love it. ^_^

The original recipe is here.

No comments: