Sunday, April 1, 2007

Buttermilk Biscuits


Making perfect light, fluffy, and tall biscuits seems to be one of the most difficult items people struggle with -- I am no exception. A perfect biscuit seems to be one of the holy grails of cooking. It is delicious but oh-so-difficult to attain. Ming happens to love biscuits and is forever encouragine me whenever I mention that I'd like to, once again, attempt another batch of biscuits.

I don't have a biscuit cutter and I don't really want to go out and buy a set of biscuit cutters when I really only need a single one. I have improvised and, instead of buying a set of cutters with sizes which I will never use, I have used a plain tin can.



I have used upside down glasses before and they never really seemed to work. They always squished the biscuit dough, thereby making for squattier biscuits which weren't as tender nor delicious. Since I know that mothers and grandmothers back in the 1800s never had fancy stores like Sur La Table to buy biscuit cutters, I am sure they must have used sometihng similar to an old tin can to shape their biscuits. I still cannot make myself create square biscuits -- that still seems too sacrligious.



White Lily Flour is another ingredient that will help you create perfect biscuits. The flour is light and will help your biscuits since it contains less gluten. Gluten is what prevents biscuits from being tender. Using white lily flour makes a huge difference with the biscuits. The dough feels so much lighter and more airy.

The recipe came from Dorie Greenspan's book, yet again. The biscuits were light and fluffy. Ming pronounced the biscuits fit for consumption and both of us promptly began to eat them for breakfast.

No comments: