Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Where's the beef?

Hamburgers are one of those sinful foods that you try not to eat too much of but, because it is the summer, we find ourselves eating more hamburgers than normal. Hamburgers taste great on the grill and are quick and easy to make. I love my beef hamburgers. You don't need to add too much seasonings to make it taste good. There really is no such thing as messing up on a beef hamburger.

Because the supermarket had turkey on sale, I decided to try to make a turkey burger. I've never been a fan of turkey except at Thanksgiving when I can have slices of the breast or thigh so I had some pretty dubious doubts about the turkey burger. I figured if the turkey burger turned out horrendous we could always make an impromptu trip to have some takeout for dinner.

To my surprise, the turkey burger turned out really well. I threw just about every single seasoning in the kitchen I could find into it and it was delicious. It was flavorful, moist, and left me craving more. I'll add the turkey burger to the repertoire of recipes and make it again.

Turkey Burger
20 oz ground turkey
2 T olive oil
minced cilantro
minced shallots
cayenne pepper
paprika
salt
pepper
seasoned salt
rosemary
thyme

Mix everything together, form patties, and cook the burgers for 7 minutes on each side.

There is no such thing as over seasoning a turkey burger because the turkey itself is pretty flavorless. Add in whatever seasonings you have in the pantry.

No comments: