Monday, August 13, 2007

Adventures with Fish

This past weekend I decided to take on a new challenge: fish. I've bought fish pre-cleaned for me or simply the fillets. What I have never done is cleaned a fish on my own or done anything with it that requries me to actually cut the fish (other than scoring it.) I watched a YouTube video on how to fillet a fish and looked really easy. The guy said all I needed was a sharp filleting knife and I'd be all set. Check. Filleting knife is one of the many knives that I have in my knife block so all I needed to do was practice on a fish.

I bought a whole fish that was previously live, squirming and all. I did ask the fish monger to kill it since that is one part that I'm still a bit squeamish about -- it's a 6lb fish flapping around and a bit intimidating to do in my small kitchen.

I was able to successfully fillet the fish and, in the end, I got to be pretty good about it. I got faster since I started to know what to expect and I ended up being really proud of myself. I filleted a 6 lb ling cod and cooked it up for dinner. Mmm.. I put a miso glaze on it and it was quickly consumed during the meal.

My lesson is that filleting a fish isn't that hard and is something anyone could do. It's no harder than cutting up some beef for a stir fry. I even went so far as to clean the fish's guts so that I could use it to make fish stock. Tomorrow's dinner will be fish stock-based. ^_^

No comments: