Sunday, March 25, 2007

Goose Fat

I received a jar of goose fat over the holidays and didn't open it until yesterday morning. I have heard lots of good things about it and know that people rave about french fries cooked in duck fat. I was eager to the goose fat out on my breakfast potatoes. I cubed 3 potatoes and cooked them in a skillet for breakfast. I didn't know how much goose fat to use so I used a mere 2 tablespoons in a 16" skillet. The potatoes came out wonderful but I didn't notice any difference in flavor from cooking them in the goose fat compared to when I cook them in normal vegetable oil. When I put the goose fat into the skillet I immediately smelled a bit of the gaminess that goose has but that smell quickly dissipated.

At the end of the meal I was still left with the question: What is the big deal with goose/duck fat? I still hadn't been able to reproduce the sinful aromas of what makes some people's hearts beat faster and eyes close in bliss. I think I must continue to experiment with using this animal by-product to see what all the fuss is about. Preliminary testing seems to indicate that when used in small amounts, goose fat performs the exact same way as normal vegetable (normally peanut or olive oil in my kitchen) oils. The next test will have to include much more fat (much as my weight cringes at that thought) to see if that will help to produce lovely, intoxicating aromas.

No comments: